Where to eat and drink around Las Vegas this week
This week, it’s tacos on the “beach” at Casa Calavera, good neighborhood Italian at Bella Vita and superb Japanese tapas at Shigotonin on Spring Mountain.
Casa Calavera inside Virgin Hotels
Casa Calavera from Hakkasan Group is a Día de Los Muertos-inspired restaurant with a large indoor and outside patio with a “feet-in-the-sand” dining experience. The outdoor seating also has a fireplace for colder nights and umbrellas that provide shade as the weather grows warmer.
Not only does the restaurant feature many Instagram-worthy moments, such as their sugar skull murals and altars, but they also celebrate everyone’s favorite culinary holiday, Taco Tuesday. Kicking off April 13, try $3 and $5 tacos, plus beer and drink specials, available all day and night every week.
The menu features tacos of all varieties such as carne asada, roasted chicken and grilled shrimp. For vegetarians, they also serve Portobello and Rajas tacos with charred onions, pico de gallo, greens, avocado and salsa verde.
If you missed Taco Tuesday, you can always go for their daily Happy Hour, Mi Casa, Su Casa. From 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., with $7 menu items, $20 buckets of beer and 50 percent off tequila and mezcal cocktails.
Looking for a good Italian neighborhood bar with live music? Bella Vita on Blue Diamond will be your new favorite spot. They serve all the favorites such as classic Margherita pizza, penne ala vodka and also offer veal, chicken and fish dishes.
Shigotonin Japanese Tapas & Sake
Open since August, Shigotonin on Spring Mountain is a hidden gem priding itself on its selected menu of traditional Japanese dishes, regional specialties and homestyle cuisine. Five must-try dishes include:
- Kyoto Obanzai & Sake: Obanzai is a traditional home cooking style of Japanese cuisine native to Kyoto and these small dishes are prepared with vegetables and seafood. They are best served with sake.
- Salmon and Ikura Bowl: Fresh salmon and Ikura on shiso leaf with Shigotoin special sushi rice.
- Maguro (Tuna) Bowl: Tuna marinated in a Shoyu-based sauce on top of Shigotonin special sushi rice.
- Garlic Shrimp: Shrimp and garlic, the Shigotonin special.
- Negitoro: A minced Maguro sashimi with Negi, Japanese green onion and wrapped with seaweed.
Follow @melindasheckells for dining and restaurant news.
If you have noticed a typo, please let us know.